Saturday, February 16, 2008

Brace Face



Friends - Here are pictures of my now strange face. I have clear braces on top and metal on the bottom both with blue rubberband thingys. You can also see the torture device that has been installed on the roof of my mouth. I now speak like I have a mouth full of marbles. I sound awful - which will be a joy as I try to preach on Sunday. The trip to the ortho did not go well as they could not get the expander in - the glue had begun to dry. I was crying in the chair from the pain of them forcing it on my teeth. My surgery is now scheduled for Thursday. I will turn my expander two times a day for 12 days and a total of 24 turns. We are going for a 8-10mm expansion. When I finally get back to work in March I will have a large space between my two front teeth. Oh the adventures . . . no wonder most pastors quit after the first year : ) Just kidding - so far my congregation has been great - though we'll see how patient they are after tomorrow's super slow sermon.

4 comments:

Jenn said...

Oh Heather! I know it sucks, but eventually, it will get better and you will learn how to speak with a mouth full of marbles :) Love you and praying for you!

steph said...

Awwwww -- bless your heart! You'll be so glad you did this -- believe me. Just imagine how well you'll enunciate once you get used to those marbles!

All kidding aside, it looks pretty painful -- my heart goes out to you. Loads of love!

Bob said...

Heather,
The palate expander looks like something the CIA or the Inquisition might have invented. Where will all of this treatment end up?
I did my turn with braces from about age 8 to about 15, so I know about having your mouth full of wire, rubber bands, and other torture devices. Nothing like this, though.
Hang in there. You're in my prayers and those of everybody on this blog.

Anitra said...

my younger stepson had one of those key things for a few weeks... seemed to work out very well for him. For what its worth.

Rapid healing for you at the end of all this!