Tuesday, August 07, 2007

The west side of the pond

Hello everyone! I'm back in the Pacific time zone once again, having completed (and passed the defense of) my thesis with the faculty of the University of Geneva, cleared customs at Heathrow, and recovered from some serious jet lag. June was a crazy last month in Switzerland - I successfully preached in Calvin's auditorium, as previously trailed; spent a week in Italy relaxing in Florence and Siena; and stopped in London to see friends on my way home (hauling my incredibly heavy luggage through the crowded tube stations!). Overall, I had a mixed year in Switzerland - great in some ways, disappointing in others - and I'm glad to be home.

For the time being, I'm at my dad's house in Portland, beginning the slow process of job hunting and finishing up odds and ends from my Swiss adventure. Returning to the States in the summer - having left last summer - makes the whole year a bit surreal, as if I just had a long, strange dream and then woke up in Portland again.

Shouts out to everyone, and particular greetings to:

- Jenn - congrats!!! Can't wait to hear all about the new call...
- Heather and Alexis - I think I saw you at the Portland airport about 10 days ago, but you were too far away for me to catch up...
- Heather and Lars - lovely garden, and wanted to let you know I also waited for my British version of HP - did you order the children or adult version?
- Steph - saw the stage version of Wicked in London, having read the book previously, and I liked the nuances of the book better than the more straightforward musical...what did you think?

Looking forward to catching up with you all soon...
Best from your no-longer-in-Swiss-exile classmate,
Aimee

5 comments:

Alexis said...

We were in the Portland airport ten days ago, how funny. Too bad we aren't slower.
congrats on finishing and good luck on the job hunt

steph said...

Yes, let's talk about WICKED! My step-daughter's housemate was the costume mistress for the London & Broadway shows...she wrote: "how famous is she???!" :)

I know that a musical can only do so much but it was soooooooooooo far removed from the actual story, in my humble opinion!!
The giant tiktok made no sense at all -- nice effect but...

I've just started "Confessions of an Ugly Step-Sister," which, ironically, takes place in HOLLAND (the original one) and is also by the same author, Gregory McGuire.

Lots to write to you all...will really try to do that soon!
love & stuff!

Pastor Heather said...

Aimee - I bought the british adult version of 5, 6, and 7 simply out of curiousity. I have the british kids version of 1,2,3. So far book 4 has eluded me, despite the fact that it is my favorite one.

Anitra said...

hold it - there's a kids version?

Aimee said...

The text is the same in the kids and adults version, but the covers are different... :)