Wednesday, August 08, 2007

A Post from the (East) Coast


Greetings all -

Here is your post from Heather on the East Coast. I am in Washington DC at the National Cathedral attending a conference at The Cathedral College of Preachers. (Continuing Ed anyone?) It is 101 degrees in DC today and the humidity is outrageous. How do you southern/eastern folks deal with this. Get me back to hot and dry!!!!

So far it has been an interesting conference. It is a conference for young clergy women. Everyone here is ordained and serving in churches although most are associates. I have met some women like me though, who are out in the world doing it on their own. Anna Carter Florence is the featured speaker and she is mostly presenting material from her new book "Preaching as Testimony". I highly recommend it, if only for the sermon starter ideas in the back. She really encourages you to be creative with the text. The whole idea is basically that you can get into the text and find your own meaning and your own sermon without having to dig into the greek, various translations, and all the commentary ever written. Its surprisingly freeing.

I have really enjoyed meeting other young women in ministry. There are Episcopals, PCUSA, Disciples, Baptists, Lutherans, and Methodists but pretty much we are all in the same boat. Its easy to feel isolated in ministry and it has been exciting to meet so many people. Most everyone is liberal as well which is such a breath of fresh air for me.

It has been neat to just hang out at the Cathedral. We have worship in one of the small lower chapels which is cool. Today I spent a few hours walking around and taking the audio tour which I really enjoyed. It was like my own private devotional time.

So, it has been a good visit. They are talking about more conferences like this so there should be opportunities for others later on. Also, there is a lot going on at the college of preachers so check it out. It is a fun way to do continuing ed.

That's all for now - blessings!

2 comments:

Anitra said...

I'm certain that Anna Carter Florence would be a great leader for this particular session. I'm so glad that you got a chance to go.

Aimee said...

Heather, if you meet a woman who coordinates the programs at the College of Preachers - Dean McDonald - tell her hello from me! I knew here when I lived in DC. Enjoy your time there (and now you know why I moved back west)!