Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Interesting day

As the church secretary I led my first funeral today, I know seems insane right? The pastor at my church is in the hospital and a member of the church passed away a couple days ago, leaving me as the only person on staff here at the church. After finding a retired clergy person to do all of the stuff required of an ordained person during the service, I was privileged enough to act as pastor to the family. I got sit with the family, organize a service, pray with them, and lead the service (which I did not think I was going to have to do until the visiting pastor looked at me 5 minutes before we started and said "so I just follow your lead then?"). I talked to the pastor of this church earlier today on the phone and he said "what other church has a secretary that can not only redesign the web-site but also do a funeral?" I'm thankful for the opportunity to do all of this and have learned a ton, and I'm asking for a raise.

Heather and I have started training for a marathon in February and are currently free from injury, which is a miracle. Roux is doing much better. We have gotten her to lose some weight and it has alleviated her hip problems enough that we can postpone surgery indefinitely.

Also Braves tickets are only $6 so we have spent a lot of time at the ballpark this summer. Still not a Braves fan, Go Red Sox, but nothing beats a good game, some beer, and a hot dog on a sunny summer day.

We head to Oregon on Thursday for Heather's family reunion up in Sisters as well as her worship exam, we shall see how it all goes. Then on Tuesday we head to Florida for my family reunion where 5 nieces and nephews and my copy of the new Potter book awaits. I don't expect to get much rest.

1 comment:

Anitra said...

I was asked to do a funeral for a family that I met through the chaplaincy. Somehow, it seemed one of the highest, most sacred places to mediate Christ.

I like seeing how ministry doesn't seem to wait respectfully for votes of humans nor rituals of ordination.