Sunday, March 11, 2007

Another graduation...and the Pope


It's hard to believe that just nine months after I received my last diploma, I've already gotten another one. The way the program works here, about two-thirds of the students graduate from the "graduate school" at the end of February and go home, leaving the 10 masters students to fend for themselves during the spring semester. So a couple of weeks ago, we had a graduation ceremony, and here's me receiving my diploma for the graduate school - the guy shaking my hand is the general secretary of the World Council of Churches, Samuel Kobia. (I might mention that he didn't whisper anything in my ear when he shook my hand.)


Before we got our diplomas, though, the whole lot of us went to Rome for a visit with the Pontifical Council for Christian Unity - and to meet the Pope, sort of. In previous years, Bossey students have participated in a "general audience" with the Pope, meaning they sit in a room with 12,000 other screaming fans (literally - it was like a football game with people getting up and offering the Pope "cheers" from their various countries or organizations) and then get a group photo taken with him after. Sadly, this year the Bossey students only got to see the Popemaster General from afar - no group photo. Seen here, he's shaking the hand of Bossey's director, which is as close as we got. The blond head in front is one of our students from Germany. I didn't take this photo - I was a few rows farther back...but you get the idea.

Thanks, everyone, for posting all your news! It helps me feel a little closer to my SFTS family (can you believe it's been a year since we were starting to plan baccalaureate???).

8 comments:

Bob said...

Congratulations, Aimee! What's next?
Peace and Blessings,
Bob

Aimee said...

Well, I'm still finishing the master's program here, so I'm in Switzerland a few more months. Then...well, who knows???

James said...

Way to go, Aimee!
It surely looks as though Switzerland in March is more comfortable than China in July!

Now, you may not have actually met the Pope, but it sure looks as though Kristin S. got a nice close-up picture of the man.

Jenn said...

Congrats Aimee! You look great :) It is really hard to believe that it has been a year and I am glad that no weird things were whispered in your ear as you recieved your diploma.

Take care and have a good Spring semester with just the 10 of you!

steph said...

So good to see your smiling face! Looks like you're keeping good company...right? Congratulations on making it this far in spite of the company you're keeping! :o)

I'm glad to be able to leave a comment because yesterday I couldn't figure out how to leave a comment but now I have so I am.

Lovely day in the neighborhood today. Lots of sunshine -- good kite flying weather!

Anitra said...

Hi Aimee! Sometime I want to hear in greater detail about your grand adventures. In the meantime, the photos are great! (yikes, Pope Waves?)

Pastor Heather said...

Hey Aimee - When Lars was there he got to meet with the better more loved and loving Pope. He has a great picture of him standing about three people away from the man himself. Hmmm . . . group Pope photo op. We protestants are really missing out on some star power.

Cheryl said...

Congrats on graduating (nice picture), and on getting another picture worthy of your hall of fame. I'm thinking this one will look great next to the one with Bill Clinton. Bono should definitely remain at the top though. miss ya!