Thursday, March 15, 2007

What an amazing thing!


I planted tomato and basil seeds last weekend. For five days they did whatever they did in secret and then on the sixth day they started popping up. In the morning, there was just three of them - their little stems bent over but starting to straighten up. By the end of the day almost all the tomatoes were up and out. Now they are tall enough that they follow the sun. I walk into the kitchen where I keep them in a greenhouse window thing that hangs out over the sink and I can see all of them leaning into the morning sunlight.

Dana is out visiting on her last spring break before graduating.... the last school holiday. I'm getting very sentimental on the thought that she'll get a real job with limited vacations and then I won't see her as much any more. Also becoming rather terrified about the idea of her moving into a place of her own and having to figure out for herself how to do the furniture, food, pots & pans, rent, utilities, etc. I cried hard when I dropped her off for the first day of kindergarten (its a mom thing) - now look at this! How did my mother ever let me go?

Oh, baby, baby, it's a wild world
It's hard to get by just upon a smile
Oh, baby, baby, it's a wild world
and I'll always remember you like a child, girl

2 comments:

steph said...

Hmmm...something about growing, grown and groaning in all this. Celebrating new life right there in your kitchen window...celebrating new life with your daughter -- just think of the fun places you'll get to visit!

My step-daughter turns 21 today...yes indeedy...what an amazing thing!

Karen Sapio said...

Sheesh! Didn't we just do that senior picture???? Where did four years go?