Friday, September 01, 2006

Change Happens

This was read to and sent out to folks at SFTS this morning:



From: Phil Butin
Sent: Friday, September 01, 2006 11:13 AM
To: All Staff and Faculty
Subject: Administrative Transition

Dear Faculty and Staff,

For the past 11 years, Scott Schaefer has served the seminary with distinction as Vice President for Administration and Finance. He has been a crucial transitional figure across three seminary administrations, in a very challenging period of SFTS history. He has carried out his work with deep love for the seminary and the church, with faithfulness to each President he has served, with exceptional pastoral sensitivity, with remarkable helpfulness, and with deep dedication. He has been a crucial advisor and colleague in leadership to me, and has been an invaluable source of crucial knowledge and information about seminary administration during the early years of my presidency. I hold him in the highest regard.

Over the past several years, Scott and I have been in prayerful discernment over the leadership configuration that will be needed in the areas of Administration and Finance for the next decade of the seminary’s life and mission. In the course of this discernment, I have determined that new leadership will be required in order to take the seminary to the next level in the coming decade. Scott and his family have made plans to move to the Seattle area sometime this fall, as they seek God’s new calling for them in that area of the country, which they have come to love. When this time arrives, we will celebrate Scott’s stellar contributions and our gratitude for him and them in a variety of appropriate ways.

We will be in close communication with the seminary community about these plans as they develop. In the meantime, Scott intends to continue to serve the seminary as faithfully as he has in the past, working with me on a strong and intentional leadership transition. I trust that we will all hold Scott and his family in our prayers, and that each of you will find ways over the coming weeks to express your deep appreciation to him for the many incomparable contributions he has made to the seminary and its mission.

Sincerely,

Phil Butin
President

In addition, I have heard that Jo Rippert has resigned.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I know this is SO not the point, but did anyone else notice that the word "crucial" appears three times in the first paragraph? Does this fall under the category of "methinks he doth protest too much..."?

Anitra said...

the key to this memo is in the second paragraph which starts out in the 1st person, plural when discussing discernment but moves into the 1st person singular when declaring action.

Scott was fired.

crucial schmocial

Anonymous said...

Yep. That's what I thought. (Sorry to comment anonymously before - silly Swiss computers!) :)

Bob said...

That's unfortunate. Both Scott and Jo were key people in the seminary community. Wonder what the new direction and the "next level" means. Scott and Jo are in my prayers.

Cheryl said...

Maybe he just learned the word crucial and so he's using it 3 times in a sentence so he won't forget. (opps did that sound too snide)
FYI: We should be in prayer for Scott as I don't believe he has found new employment yet. My understaning is that Becky wanted to move up to the Seattle area. As Scott says she's always followed me around it's my turn to follow her. I understand they have friends there as well and are excited about the prospects. In other words Scott is being as we would expect loyal to SFTS and a gentleman about the whole thing. And yes fired would be the correct term for what happened.
Jo has found employment in San Rafael at a legal firm I believe it is? I was able to be at her goodbye party and she too seemed excited for a change. Sad for SFTS but a positive change for her.

Anonymous said...

Hi Anitra
I'm not sure if I'm doing this BLOG thing right, I hope this comment makes it to you.
I love hearing what everybody is up to, or at least, those of us who have figured out how to Blog-on. Here's what I'm up to:
I am the chapel coordinator at SFTS, which means I have the keys and so I unlock and lock up again for weddings, Bar Mitzvah's, etc. Every one of these events gives me the opportunity to share the Good News, even though I'm just the lady with the keys to the chapel. Every one of these celebrations brings in money, publicity, and good will for SFTS. Yet I don't get the sense that there is healthy consensus among the powers that be (such as they think they are), relative to appropriate use of these assets of the seminary. Like you, I wonder what "the next level" looks like?
In addition to the keys to the kingdom, I now carry a badge identifying me as a Chaplain at Marin General. I have joined Garret and James as interns; today was my first day.
Thanks for posting the list of those of us taking the Ords last week. It was an ordeal, most of it very positive. Can't believe I chose to do BOTH translations on the Greek Exegesis exam. I might even have passed one or two. . .
Finally, I want to thank you for your ministry of this blog. Until such time as the stained-glass ceiling is sucked out through the hole in the ozone layer I expect that women like you and I will continue to flow into the space where need is great, which now seems to be the space BETWEEN the 350+ member congregations. Here's to love in all its forms and frivolities. Peace, Dani