Sunday, August 27, 2006

Nine hours ahead of SFTS

It's Sunday night here on the other side of the Atlantic, and I'm settling into life in Switzerland. I arrived yesterday morning (though my luggage took a later flight) and attended worship this morning at the English-speaking Church of Scotland. The church meets in Calvin's Auditoire, a smaller building next to St. Peter's Cathedral that was used by Calvin for lectures and, I would imagine, ensuing theological debate. John Knox was also pastor here for some time. Inexplicably, the website seems to have no historical information about the church, but here's the link anyway:

http://www.churchofscotlandgeneva.com/

and there's a teeny bit of history here:

http://www.sacred-destinations.com/switzerland/geneva-auditoire-calvin.htm

I had a bone to pick with the sermon I heard this morning. It was decent in both message and delivery, but it started by claming that understanding and following God are more complicated now than in the Old Testament when things were clear. I imagine both Chaney and Coote would deny that premise.

Anyway, greetings from Geneva, birthplace of the Reformation.

No comments: