Monday, January 28, 2008

Theological Pop Quizzes

I have two stepsons who are loosely Unitarian in their upbringing. They are also very bright and interested in the world around them. Living with them is something like a never ending Trivia Pursuit game. I might be walking out of the bathroom and bam, there's a question like, "how many presidents earned over $250,000 per year?" or "What do you think of Obama's electablity against Gulliani?" Sometimes I can answer the question, sometimes I tell them to go look it up on-line. Mostly I enjoy watching their curiosity and their thought paths at play.

Sometimes though, its tough.

The other night - I had about 15 minutes to eat my dinner & find my shoes/socks/stuff and get out the door for choir practice when my younger step son (age 13) asks, "So, what do you Presbyterians believe about heaven?"

yikes!

So we had a conversation that touched on life after death, the new heaven and earth, Revelations, the holes in Jesus' hands, A God that is always creating, and meanwhile my elder step son is throwing in questions like, "So, explain atonement for me..."

I made it to choir practice on time, with shoes and socks on my feet but I had to postpone atonement for another time alongside of explaining why apocalyptic writings are a mis-reading of Revelations and an overall review of Eschatology & Christology.

I'm going to be sooo ready for a floor examination should that day ever come to pass.

No comments: