Monday, December 24, 2007

To All A Merry Christmas!

Christmas 2007
Dear Family and Friends,



I hope this Christmas Season brings you all of the wonderment and joy you all are so deserving of. I’m going to do some myth busting. Even if you are a little naughty, no fat guy will come down your chimney and put coal in your shoes. Fact: I was naughty one year (not telling which one) and it didn’t happen. Then to test it again I was naughty the next year and it still didn’t happen, no coal. After that, I heard rumors that perhaps the whole white bearded fat guy thing was a hoax. Not wanting to push my luck, I have been good ever since. If any of you have been bad this year I would like to hear back and see how it went. Personally, I think its bunk but just in case, I bought some cookies and Coca-Cola.



Oh, how we miss those magical Christmases of our youth. I find that as the years go by I am starting to look increasingly like this Santa Claus character who has morphed a bit. Santa Claus started out as skinny St. Nicholas, a 4th century martyred Bishop from Turkey. He was noted to be the patron saint of the poor, pawnbrokers and prostitutes and most noted for his generosity toward poor children. A tradition of winter gift giving passing though most European cultures, incorporating pagan and folkloric effects, becoming SinterKlaas for the Dutch; gaining weight in the 19 century and becoming the American icon of conspicuous consumption. A simple satchel of sweets for children has now become over burdened with marketing ploys, usury, corporate greed and materialism. Culturally new, images of Santa Clause now prevail in Iraq and Afghanistan, since the onset of our military occupation. The jolly old man has become a symbol of empire.



In the last 14 months, experiencing the passing of both my parents, a favorite aunt and now a brother, I have come to know even truer, the greatest gift is to love and be loved. I wish for all of you this great gift. As a Christian, I know a story of a child who was born in a simple manger and hailed by night workers in a field. This innocent child of Bethlehem became known as the Prince of Peace for a new kingdom. Perhaps too, morphed through time and culture but also known to be the friend of prostitutes the poor and children.



I am fortunate that nearly all of my friends and family are without serious need. I have decided to make my gift giving this year to Heifer International. One of my internship churches here in California introduced me to this organization. The Heifer Project gives animals to poor families, teaches animal husbandry and does community development as ways to relieve poverty. I appeal to each of you to find out more about this amazing organization. In memory of my passed love ones, you, and the other beloved ones receiving this note, I have sponsored a water buffalo, a goat and bees. I will leave it your imagination to figure which of you remind me of a water buffalo, an old goat or being as sweet as honey.



Please be good, and may you know the Goodness of this season…

Pastor, Friend, Papa, Brother, Uncle, Robert (Bob) Hattle

No comments: