Saturday, December 02, 2006

Lessons and Carols - The season has begun!


Not only did the manage to have L&C without us - they did it bigger! It was beautiful and wonderful and great to see Cheryl and Elizabeth and James - also Steve and Elenor Whitney, Will and Becky McGarvey and Deborah Johnston, Joy Church, and... everybody!

The new thundering herd of students has swelled the choir to the point where they sat in chairs in the chancel surrounding the strings (strings!). The choir did almost all the oldies/goodies. James said he couldn't look at Elizabeth during O Magnum Mysterium because she was mouthing the words and weeping. Cheryl and I were further back - but I closed my eyes just to hear/feel that rich lift. My hands were dancing. The choir has tenors this year!!!! It was fun to hear O Holy Night rather than sing it although I'd rather be singing all of it... It might be sappy but its still fun. (and if you can't be sappy during Christmas then what is the point?

.... Stephanie did great with This Little Babe. I think it might have been challenging to have the choir so deep in the chancel but it went well. As fabulous as Stephanie did - and she did very well - my memory brought Heather's harp back into the room. And speaking of memory, as we finished singing the hymn, Hark the Herald Angels Sing, with its power soprano descant, Cheryl and I turned to each other and instantly agreed that we missed Amy Moiso very much.

Inspired I am sure by the work done previous years, Lisa Wraith put some some very color intense banners.

Dan, bless his heart, does indeed invite the alumni to come forward for the full on heart string: Still of the Nightfall. We had to stop hugging each other so we could sing.



Greg and Clair Love and Cheryl Finch:













Clair on her way home.



Mid-way through the program I figured out why I was having a problem accepting that Advent was under way: I haven't been singing Christmas songs in prepartion this year!




Program Summary (Anthem):
Lesson 1 - Lo How a Rose E'er Blooming
Lesson 2 - Prepare Ye
Lesson 4 - O Magnum Mysterium
Lesson 5 - Candlelight Carol (Rutter)
Lesson 6 - Calypso Noel
Lesson 7 - This Little Babe
Lesson 8 - O Holy Night & Chill of the Nightfall

If you go on Saturday - please post news of who you saw & what they are up to. Elizabeth is doing well in her CPE but as we all know, its very consuming.

2 comments:

steph said...

Hey y'all! It was fabulous to be a part of L&C this year after having missed several years in a row due to conflicting schedules. Jim wasn't able to be present at either
performance since he was "opera-tizing" both nights.

I was thrilled when Charles asked me to read the lesson from John 1 (Saturday): In the beginning was the Word...(I can't get James Noel's version out of my head but that would just not ring true in my little voice!) During rehearsal on Wednesday night, I could not read it through...I kept blubbering and totally mortified myself (not being one for public displays of humanity....ironically since that's the part that I couldn't get to come out -- you know, where he became flesh and dwelt among us). Anyway, thanks be to God, I was able to read it boldly Saturday night with nary a blubber!

And "This Little Babe" coulda/shoulda had Heather on her harp! I "dropped" the Babe both nights but am grateful that Dan and I started and ended the piece together. The choir was amazing. What a joy to make music again!

It was wonderful to see alums -- and to be reminded of those that we hold in our hearts! Love to you all. I miss you! Will send contact info in another blog/email.

ttfn!

Pastor Heather said...

Wish I was there