Thursday, September 14, 2006

Bittersweet

Hey all! The first part is from Jana -- the 2nd part is from me! It's a bit long but please keep reading -- and thank you all for everything!
I miss you!
love, steph

Sarah Knowles, I'd love to talk with you! Remember a LONG time ago when I asked you a question out of the blue about RCA?? Maybe it makes sense now??

Dear Friends,
It is my bittersweet duty to let you know that Stephanie Croom will be leaving SFTS in December to accept a position at Western Theological Seminary in Holland, Michigan. The news is bitter for those of us she will be leaving behind. She has been a wise counselor to students, a trusted colleague to coworkers and a beam of pure North Carolina sunshine to all who knew her here. We will miss her mightily. At the same time because we have come to know and love Stephanie as well as we have -- we are very happy indeed for the joy, adventure and opportunity this change will bring into her life. Later this semester we will find an appropriate time and way to face up to our good-byes and celebrate Stephanie and Jim.

Meanwhile, Stephanie has provided the following note which fills in the details of this story. We are grateful for the love, sweat and tears Stephanie has invested in our work and community. Please do join me in telling her so!
Jana Childers
Dean of the Seminary

Dear Friends and Colleagues,
I am writing to share some wonderful news with people I care about most, my family at SFTS (or beyond, as the case may be)! Last spring, I was offered a position with Western Theological Seminary (Holland MI) as Associate Director of Formation for Ministry! I have known the director of the program (Matt Floding) for seven years through my participation in the Association of Theological Field Educators (ATFE) and the PCUSA caucus of that group, PTFE. Matt sent me a position description in the Fall of 2005 and asked if I knew of anyone who might be interested in the position.

In January 2006, I attended the FaithTrust Institute with Marie Fortune in Daytona Beach; the folks from Western Theological Seminary were also there -- Matt Floding (director of the formation for ministry team and dean of students), Theresa Lattini (pastoral theology) and Leanne Van Dyk, the dean of WTS. After that gathering in Daytona, Matt was meeting with the steering committee of ATFE in San Rafael (coincidentally??) and stayed at our apartment, giving him a chance to do some laundry and meet Jim. Long story short -- Matt really opened my eyes to the possibility of applying for the position. At his invitation, I submitted an application and visited Holland and the WTS campus in April. While there, I met with faculty and students, interviewed with the president and the dean and came home to prayerfully consider their offer to come and be a part of the Formation for Ministry team.

It has been a long process -- I knew before our spring semester was over that I would be leaving SFTS. My feelings are mixed -- SFTS has been my home for 11 years and I absolutely love being here. It will not be easy to leave. However, the timing is right personally -- closer to my home state of North Carolina, same time zone, too! We are buying a house -- and have narrowed our choices to 3!! Professionally, the program at WTS "fits" my understanding of theological field education and although not a PCUSA seminary, a sister institution in the Reformed tradition!

Jim and I truly believe that this is a call for me -- he is very supportive and excited about the move (he loves cold weather!). The plans are that I will complete this semester which ends December 15, while Jim expects to remain here for a while in the position he began in June. We'll be moving house and Sam (the cat) in December to our new address during the Christmas vacation and I will start at WTS on January 1, 2007 by getting on a bus with the junior class and going away for a week-long retreat!

You have all been companions, colleagues and consultants along this incredible journey. I cannot begin to thank you enough for everything -- but I will try to do so as our days together in this place and time come to a sweet ending.
With a heart full of love & gratitude,
Stephanie

No comments: