Monday, August 21, 2006

The Reverend John Weems

Much joy and congratulations as our dear friend John has now become the Reverend John Weems! On Sunday August 20th at 4pm several of the SFTS gang were in attendance at Laffayette-Orinda Presbyterian Church for John's ordination and installation as Associate Pastor of Mission and Evangelism. It was a great time of celebration and worship. (I admit it, I got a little teary eyed) Here are some of the highlights: Jake did a great job carrying the cross and leading the processional! Colleen read one of the scriptures and presented John with a beautiful stole. Charles lead the closing prayer, Phil charged the new pastor, and I was thrilled and honored that John asked me to read a scripture lesson for the service. I'll close this post with the silent meditation John included for prior to the service. (What can I say, it's Buechner so you know I was sold.) "A crucial eccentricity of the Christian faith is the assertion that people are saved by grace. The grace of God means something like: Here is your life. You might never have been but you are becasue the party wouldn't have been complete without you. Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid. I am with you. Nothing can ever separate us. It's for you I created the universe. I love you. There's only one catch. Like any other gift, the gift of grace can be yours only if you'll reach out and take it." --Frederick Buechner in Wishful Thinking

No comments: