Thursday, May 15, 2008

The OTHER Seminary





Not that I ever thought of Columbia Theological Seminary as the Other seminary. I think I left that right to Princeton. Anyway - I spent last week on the campus of CTS for what they call their Lifelong Learning Program. I was actually there for a conferece about Rural Ministry, although I played the spy trying to compare the students experiance to my own at SFTS.

At meals I sat with students and quizzed them about their time at the school. It was one week before graduation and students were all smiles. I don't need to remind you all that was not the case with many of us. Many students really enjoyed the professors, course work, seminary support, loved the President, etc. The campus is beautiful and appears well cared for. The library is wonderful - speaking to SFTS's lack of care for theirs as it is really only part of the GTU. The place did not seem lacking for funds as they are in process of building a new large dormitory.

I loved my confrence. It was well organized, there was always help if needed, it was easy to relax and enjoy myself. We had a presentation from Bruggeman their retired star and he is really something. All in all, I learned A TON that will help me in my ministry setting, I made new friends, I enjoyed the campus, I will probably be back. Especially because I got in lots of good time with Heather and Alexis.

I am not sorry I went to SFTS but talking to the students at Columbia certainly gave me pause.

2 comments:

Alexis said...

I'll ask this; What graduate of SFTS can afford to stay in that community? None. That's what Columbia and LPTS have in common, the graduates stick around. Which means the surrounding community knows and loves the work of the seminary because they are the beneficiary of the seminaries work, their pastors are graduates. Which means they never lack for funding or volunteers. It makes it difficult at SFTS to fundraise and build good will when the community is hostile to your presence. (We all have stories of mean Marinites.) Having gone to LPTS, a very similar seminary to Columbia, I would not trade my SFTS experience. The students loved their professors and got to know them, because they only had 7 professors to choose from. All of their classes were taught by the same people and they had no choice in classes. Interplay isn't offered at LPTS, Columbia, or SFTS. But we had the GTU, which made SFTS worth it to me. But also meant I didn't get to know my professors or the administrative staff as well. LPTS felt confining and limited to me, they were all in your business. I did meet Heather there, so it wasn't all bad.
I also hope you come back for lots more conferences, if only to hang out with us.

Pastor Heather said...

That is a really good point about the community support. I never thought about it. I spoke with the students about their ability to find internships in the community and they had lots to choose from. I know that during my internship year it was slim pickins'

I do plan to come back at some point. Nothing beats a good conference and a pitcher of Margaritas!