Monday, May 14, 2007

Fresh Start

In the Atlanta Diocese of the Episcopal Church there is this wonderful clergy resource called Fresh Start. At the beginning of any new ministry, whether or not you are a new rector, an old rector in a new church, an associate pastor, a chaplain, or any ordained clergy person who starts any new job anywhere in the Atlanta Diocese you are required to go to a clergy support group three times a month that meets at the diocese every Thursday for the first year of your ministry; and then after that you are required to go once a month for the next year. And then after that you can come whenever you feel the need for some connection. They also hold monthly support meetings for clergy in urban churches, in suburban churches, rural churches, chaplains, pastoral care clergy, older adult ministry clergy, and youth and family clergy. I don't think the Episcopal church does support any better than any other church, or that being forced to spend every Thursday out of touch and in a meeting is great, but can you imagine during your first call getting to sit around and talk to other people going through the same thing and getting advice from clergy who have already been through it? As well as getting to get away from the pressures of your job for a few hours on Thursday morning, plus they have a free breakfast. (who doesn't love free food). I only post this because apparently support like this can be done, clergy can be connected and according to the pastor's who go, it is a lifesaver during the first year of ministry. I just emailed the Bishop for the local Methodist District saying maybe this Fresh Start thing isn't such a bad idea for the Methodist's here in Atlanta. Now who should I contact to get in touch with a Presbyterian who can contact their own leaders? (note sarcasm)

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

Noted sarcasm aside. The PC(USA) does make an attempt and sponsors the "1st Call program" in many/most Presbyteries. And in fact it is mandatory in many of those Presbyteries. (like SF) Also in Sacramento and San Francisco (I can only speak for the places where I have personal knowledge) there have been clergy groups which have gathered together (both within the denomination and interdenominationally)
We may often fail, and God knows we are far from perfect, but we are trying, and I for one am glad of it.
All that said, I'm glad you are finding good connections in Atlanta, and hope this group will be a sourse of great support in your ministry.

Alexis said...

Well I am not actually a part of any of this, that would require me to be ordained and that is going to probably take another three years. They apparently have the same barrage of meaningless tests that other denominations have. (if you can't tell I think all those ordination tests are dumb, and boy do I hope my ordination committee reads this).

I know about the 1st call programs in the PCUSA, which I think are awesome, useful, and just the best. One good thing about this Episcopal system here is that they go on for the life of your ministry. A pastor can go to these meetings forever. Which I thought was helpful, especially for those pastors that serve out in the middle of nowhere, and there is a lot of middle of nowhere in this country. Just saying.

Pastor Heather said...

Being 7 mo. into my first year I can really see what an advantage this would be. Alas, not only am I about the only first year pastor in my Presbytery I am one of the few women, and absolutley the youngest. I wish there were more people to network with out here. Being a young woman in first year ministry in Easter Washington is extremely isolationg. Thank God for God . . . friends . . . and Lars who keep me sane.