Thursday, February 01, 2007

Should we go with the update?

Hi fellow blogging team members. Apparently - there is an upgrade to the blog interface that we can take advantage of. And - while they don't say so now - we may need to go do eventually in any case. However, there seems to be a warning that we'll have to resign in with our "google accounts". If you don't have one, they will helpfully create one.

This sounds like a pain and if we do it, I think everyone has to do it.

So I figure our options are:

1) stay with what we have for as long as possible or
2) figure out a date by which everyone should try to pick up a google account and then switch or
3) switch which then makes everyone pick up a google account if they want to keep posting...

I donno. I'm not thrilled with being forced into The Google Machine but hey, this blog is free (cash wise) so it is hard to complain. Well, not for me. I actually find it quite easy to complain, no matter the circumstance. I'm more than a little concerned that I could easily end up in heaven and find myself compeled to make a few suggestions to God on how to organize the place a little better. Well, at least I'm hoping for heaven. I'm pretty sure I'll get there... Unless Calvin was wrong. In which case... hmm... I'll probably have a few simple suggestions for who ever is running the alternative as well.

So - post your vote; what do you want to do?

Anitra the spiritual australian sheep dog....

Check out the 1/18/06 comic:
http://www.rhymeswithorange.com/

11 comments:

James said...

I've already got a Google account (not that I use it much...or at all), so I'm good with the will of the group.

Anitra, I heard a joke pertaining to your Calvin comment, and as I heard it from a Presbyterian, I'll tell it here.

It seems an elderly Presbyterian minister passed away and per all the jokes and stories, found himself standing at the Pearly Gates talking with St. Peter. Peter asks him, "Why do you think you're getting in here, anyway?" The pastor replied, "Well, I've served my First Presbyterian Church for 43 years and done my best." Peter simply replies,"Go to Hell!"

So, the poor man finds himself at the gates of Hell (which aren't guarded at all - free will and all). Walking in a ways, he sees two glum looking figures sitting by the path. On getting closer, he recognizes them as Luther and Calvin. Having never been comfortable with Luther, the man appproaches Calvin and asks him why in the world he is there.

Looking up slowly Calvin replies,






"Bad news."






"Works count!"

Cheryl said...

ok James, I will admit I loved the joke. Now back to the original topic. For those of us who are to say the least a little shall we say "challenged" in the whole blog/internet thing (I'm trying but sometimes I need the "for dummies version") I'm all for keeping this line of communication open, it's been a great way for me to keep up with you all. Someone will just have to tell me what I need to do when I need to do it.
=-D

Alexis said...

As a new member I could only log on with my google account, I didn't get any other option. If there are to be any new members then they will have to have a google account, so obviously I'm up for whatever.

a

Bob said...

OK. I set up a Google account. Now what?

Anitra said...

great joke.

We've heard from four of the most active posting - and I think jenny already has a google account. So the question remains for Heather, Steph, Jenny and Aimee.

Overall - I think the upgrade will make it easier to write and post - or at least that is how its being promoted.

I'm leaning toward going ahead with the upgrade option sometime in the next month or so.

ps - you are all "administrators" so anyone of you can make changes to the blog as you desire. FYI.

Anitra said...

ps - I just turned on a comment verification feature - we've just picked up our first "spam" entry. If it gets obnoxious, I have a second line of defense were I (or anyone) moderates comments before they are officially posted.

steph said...

Hey y'all -- I'm with Cheryl. I love having this connection especially now that I'm on the other side of the world...such as it is. Just let me know how/what/when/where. I'm there.

Hey, whaddya know...it's snowing!

Aimee said...

I'm happy with whatever - if I need to sign up for a google account, it's no biggie.

Jenn said...

Sorry to just be responding...I am up for the update. Anitra's right, I have a google account, so let's go for it :)

Anitra said...

Steph - Cheryl - Amy

1) Go to Google.com
2) look in the upper right for "My Account" and click
3) in the bar of text on the right, toward the bottom you will find "create new account" - click on that, fill out the boxes and then carry on.

This leaves Heather & Harold & LPC not yet heard from.

I think I'm going to go ahead and make the switch since the response has been positive.

Peace - Anitra

Anitra said...

umm - never mind.

Turns out that the roll out is "limited" at first - and the button to switch is no longer (if ever?) visable on our dashboard area.

So, continue as is for now; pick up a google account and eventually we'll switch I guess.